Friday, June 15, 2012

Coastal Buddyboxing

Me and Kuku at the Tillamook Cheese factory, Tillamook Oregon. June 2012

Boxing alone is fun, but boxing with friends is better. Last weekend started with a boxing in the park trip to introduce a new boxer, Barley, and her super sweet puppy to the craft. If there is anything better than being a first finder it might be watching a friend find their first box and find that they are the first finder of that box, AND that there is a first finder prize. Great way to hook a newbie boxer if she wasn't hooked already. Then I had an opportunity to go letterboxing with some wonderful seasoned letterboxers, including my letterboxing "mom", Kuku (who introduced me to boxing), and Waves. In our group was also a magical muggle who went along with us for fun. She was magical because even though she was not a letterboxer she had a knack for finding boxes that were eluding us. We were up in the Canon Beach area, where I haven't been since I was in high school, and camped out at the Nehalem Bay State Park Campground. The weekend started out wet and windy but we still managed to nab some boxes in the rain. Saturday was better and Sunday was gorgeous, thank you Oregon! We found quite a few letterboxes that weekend, among them some really fabulous carves. We also got to enjoy a sand castle competition held at Canon Beach.



The best thing about boxing with Waves is you are sure to get a ton of boxes, "Just one more?" The best thing about boxing with Kuku is you never know what she'll come up with for a cover when muggles show up unexpectedly, "I don't think those ferns up there are any different than the ones down here, they look the same." The best thing about boxing with a muggle, other than having a great finder with you, is the laughs, "Is this it?" *really loud and waving it in the air.* (She did learn quickly though)


Letterboxing is a hobby of art. I've have 4 journals filled up now of all shapes and sizes, some hard bound books like the one above and some spiral bound. The one above is my current journal that I got at the Art Supply store in Salem. I liked that it looks like a regular book but didn't like that for an art book it was sure boring. So I decided to decorate it using some stamps I've carved that I haven't planted yet and this was the result. Maybe I'll get these from now on. It was fun decorating it and I could do it differently each time I get a new book.

No comments:

Post a Comment